Implementing mobility solutions has proven challenging in industries with hazardous operating environments, such as oil and gas or chemical and pharmaceutical manufacturing. Mobile devices must be specially designed and tested to adapt to volatile environments and ensure employee safety when there are flammable gasses, vapors, or airborne dust present.
As a leader in the industry, we design and manufacture handheld, portable tablets that offer durability and reliability in the harshest of environments. We sought out certifications that show the dependability of our products, and are excited to announce our latest certification, the C1D2 certification of our DT362 rugged handheld tablet.
What is C1D2?
C1D2 is part of a classification system that determines the level of dangerous or explosive vapors, gas, dust, or fibers present, as well as the type of technology that is permissible and safe to use when they are present. This system is divided into three classes and two divisions based on the types of hazards present and how frequently they occur.
- Class 1 – Flammable vapors or gasses are the present hazards
- Class 2 – Combustible dust is present
- Class 3 – Easily ignitable fibers or flyings in air
The divisions signify how often those hazards are present:
- Division 1 – Hazard is present during normal operating conditions. This can be caused due to frequent maintenance or equipment failure.
- Division 2 – Hazard is present, but in closed canisters or Oil water separators, and are only exposed through system failures or ruptures.
These classes and divisions are paired, depending on what the hazard is and how often it’s present. For example, C1D1 represents hazardous gas that’s present during normal working conditions, while C1D2 is hazardous gasses that are present but remain in a container or system under normal circumstances.
DT Research’s DT362 Rugged Handheld Tablet has been tested and Class 1 Division 2 Certified to operate safely in hazardous areas where flammable gasses, vapors or liquids may be present within sufficient quantities to be explosive or ignitable. The C1D2 certification is recognized as the most widely accepted non-incendive standard in North America for products used in hazardous environments.
CID2 certification ensures the DT362 Rugged Tablets have the following safety features:
- Non-incendive Circuit: Circuits that are not capable of igniting flammable gas–air or vapor–air through an arc or thermal effect produced under the intended operating conditions of the equipment.
- Non-incendive Component: The contacting mechanism for the component is constructed so that the component is incapable of igniting the specified flammable gas–air or vapor–air mixture.
- Non-incendive Equipment: The electrical/electronic circuitry is incapable, under normal operating conditions, of causing ignition of a specified flammable gas–air, vapor–air mixture due to arcing or thermal means.
- Non-sparking Apparatus: Apparatus that has no normally arcing parts or thermal effects capable of ignition.
Full features of DT362 Rugged Handheld certification in DT Research’s latest Press Release here.